Celebrating seniors: June 2023
We are thrilled to focus this month on seniors, who are a growing segment of our community with a breadth of irreplaceable knowledge and wisdom and who have specific health and wellness challenges that need to be acknowledged and addressed.
We know many people could age well in their homes and communities if they had the right resources and support. The reality is that many face barriers such as ageism and a complicated health-care system, at times impossible to access and navigate. Challenges with finding, qualifying, funding and depending on essential resources can be a daily struggle. We at the Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Ontario Health Team (FLA OHT) have come together to encourage new ways of thinking about aging and how people are supported in their homes and communities.
In this edition:
- Encouraging inclusion and age-friendly communities: Message from Executive Lead, Dr. Kim Morrison
- Listening to and learning from two senior community volunteers
- Providing aging adults with the right resources to live independent, healthy lives
- Movement is Medicine
- KHSC@Home is helping seniors leave the hospital with the care they need at home
- Self-management programs for people 50+: helping you live a healthier life
- Activities for seniors at Kingston Community Health Centres (KCHC)