The Importance of Cultural Competence
The Caregiver Connection
Relationships with healthcare providers are an important part of the caregiving role. It gives us a sense of belonging and strengthens our interactions affecting positive change. But it is often difficult to connect with people when we do not understand their culture or background.
Cultural competency is knowledge and behaviour that enable caregivers and healthcare providers to interact respectfully in a manner that is mindful, open, and sensitive to differences we may not be familiar with.
Join this Ontario Caregiver Organization webinar to:
- Learn more about cultural competency in healthcare settings and understand why this is important
- Explore the ways in which we see and respond to differences and how it impacts our interactions with those around us
- Examine barriers in healthcare that relate to the caregiving space
- Take away tips and strategies to foster culturally competent relationships in healthcare settings
Thursday, February 29, 2024 12 -1 PM
Who should attend? For caregivers, clinicians, and health care providers who would like to learn more about the role of cultural competence in healthcare settings.
Visit the Ontario Caregiver Organization website
- Usha Shanmugathasan, M.Ed., OCT, is a passionate teacher, mentor, and advocate for equity in the educational space. She recently graduated from OISE/UofT with her master’s degree in educational leadership and policy and is the Project Co-Lead for the Cultural Competence toolkits published by the SAAAC Autism Centre.
- Munira Khilji, M.B, B.S, is a physician and a parent of two children with autism, ADHD and learning disabilities. Her insight and experience as an advocate for health equity in underserved communities deeply informs the initiatives she supports. Currently, Munira is a manager for the SAAAC Autism Centre’s Entry to School Program working to provide culturally responsive autism services in structurally marginalized communities.
All attendees who complete the post-webinar survey can enter a draw to win an Ontario Caregiver Organization prize. This draw will be held the week following the webinar and is only available to residents of Ontario. Winners will be contacted via email after the draw.
- Please note that this presentation is available in English only.
- Pour de l’information sur nos programmes et services en français, visitez www.ontariocaregiver.ca/fr ou communiquez avec nous par courriel à email@example.com.
- For any difficulty with registration or any other questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-888-877-1626 X 1011